Welcome to Year 6
Our Current Theme is 'The Natural World'
This theme is driven by the auto-biographical work 'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell. We hope that this interesting and demanding text will inspire the children to find out more about the natural world and the creatures that inhabit it. We will learn about Charles Darwin and consider the impact of his discoveries as detailed in 'Origin of Species'.
Homework in Year 6
Homework is set on a weekly basis & can be found on Purple Mash. All Year 6 children are expected to complete the following:
- Timestables practise via TT Rockstars (recommended daily): Click to Play
- MyMaths activities & games (new activities are set weekly) via: Click to Play
- Reading for pleasure (at least 30 minutes per day with Accelerated Reader quiz on completion): Click to Quiz
- Spellings practise (with follow-up test each Monday) (word search and handwriting task is optional)
- 'Purple Mash' games & activities (click here to jump straight to Purple Mash)
Additional learning resources & useful websites
If you find yourself wanting additional learning materials, there is a huge range of websites available. BBC Bitesize has plenty of content tailored to year 6. The Oak National Academy continues to produce work for year 6 on a regular basis. You can also access the following:
- As well as MyMaths, you can visit the White Rose Maths website. There are loads of lessons available, including video lessons, worksheets and solutions. This site mirrors what Year 6 learn at school so it's a great place to get some supporting learning materials from. Download content here
- We have subscription to Discovery Espresso. This website is really useful for supporting your learning of the foundation subjects: Username: student31672 Password: astwood
- Want some positive news for a change? Visit this website: First News
- Remember, for a little support with life's ups and downs, we encourage you to visit Young Minds
How are you feeling about starting Year 7 next year? Take some time to explore this useful link: Starting Secondary School
Important Information about Physical Education
In Year 6, we'll have an hour of PE every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Please ensure you arrive in a clean kit every week (uniform is not required on PE days). Long hair should be tied back, earrings need to be removed and appropriate footwear will always be needed. During winter months, you're allowed to wear warmer clothing such as navy blue jogging bottoms.