Welcome to Year 6
Current Learning Theme - 'Beat It!'
In this science themed half term, children explore the circulatory system in detail. Numerous investigations allow children to explore how human hearts work and artwork presents a chance to get closer to this important organ! They learn about the components of blood and even learn some basic first aid skills.
Homework in Year 6
Homework is set on a weekly basis. All Year 6 children are expected to complete the following:
- Timestables practise via TT Rockstars (recommended daily): Click to Play
- MyMaths activities & games (new activities are set weekly) via: Click to Play
- Reading for pleasure (at least 30 minutes per day with Accelerated Reader quiz on completion)
- Spellings practise (with follow-up test each Monday) (accompanying wordsearch and handwriting task is optional)
- Occasional 'Purple Mash' games & activities (click here to jump straight to Purple Mash)
Additional learning & useful websites
If you find yourself wanting additional learning materials, there is a huge range of websites available. BBC Bitesize has plenty of content tailored to year 6. The Oak National Academy continues to produce work for year 6 on a regular basis. You can also access the following:
- As well as MyMaths, you can visit the White Rose Maths website. There are loads of lessons available, including video lessons, worksheets and solutions. This site mirrors what Year 6 learn at school so it's a great place to get some supporting learning materials from. Download content here
- We have subscription to Discovery Espresso. This website is really useful for supporting your learning of the foundation subjects: Username: student31672 Password: astwood
- Want some positive news for a change? Visit this website: First News
- Finished your current book? Try this website out - it has 7000 books to read, for free! 1000's of books found here
- Remember, for a little support with life's ups and downs, we encourage you to visit Young Minds
How are you feeling about starting Year 7 next year? Take some time to explore this useful link: Starting Secondary School
The children will have an hour of PE every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Please ensure they arrive in a clean kit every week (uniform is not required on PE days). We ask that hair is tied back, earings are removed and approriate footwear is worn. During winter months, we encourage children to wear warmer clothing such as navy blue jogging bottoms.