Welcome to Year 6
Year 6 Home Learning
This section of our class page is is dedicated to home learning. In support of all those children who are currently staying at home, we shall be posting a weekly bank of learning activities. Below, we have provided links to familiar websites such as TT Rockstars and MyMaths, which can be accessed daily using the individual login details provided. Additionally, we will upload reading, writing and maths materials onto this page.
It is important to note that we have been realistic in terms of what we are expecting from the children during their time out of the classroom. Most of the content provided will be in line with our current curriculum planning, thus enabling a certain degree of continuity away from the classroom. We are mindful of the varied circumstances at present, so we have worked hard to balance what can be achieved at home without specific equipment and teaching expertise. Establishing a routine can help but we also know that being able to pick and choose activities is equally helpful. Below is plenty of maths and English work to keep the children's learning going.
This week's recommended learning (30 March-3 April)
- Timestables via TT Rockstars (recommended daily): https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student/23115
- MyMaths activities & games (new activities set on Mon, Wed, Fri) via: https://login.mymaths.co.uk/
- Maths: We highly recommend following the link to White Rose Maths home learning. There are five lessons a week available including video lessons, worksheets and solutions. WRM home learning
- We have subscription to Discovery Espresso online: Username: student31672 Password: astwood
- First News have published free online newspapers: https://schools.firstnews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/03/Lores_718-1.pdf
- English reading, writing & grammar work will be published below, along with science and French.
TTRS 'Pupils Vs Teacher' sessions will take place on Tuesday & Thursday 4-4:30pm. Join the area battle zone to challenge Allen Howard (aka Mr Mellows).
(Current theme suspended)
Welcome to Spring 2 in year 6 where our theme for the the half term is:
'It's a Kind of Magic!'
This half term we shall be delving into the first 'Harry Potter' book and the world of wizardry. It's set to be a popular topic, especially as there's a trip to the Warner Bros Studio! In science, we're commencing our learning about the human body - specifically, the human heart. Maths lessons are all about revising and furthering the children's knowledge of decimals, percentages and algebra. We've lined up some fun gymnastics and netball lessons in our two hours of PE each week. And our weekly RE/PSHE time always sparks plenty of meaningful discussion - this time we're exploring the way in which faith can provide support for people when times get hard. We'll also look at the role of the British Heart Foundation; making a good link with our science topic this half term. Of course, children will also be taught French and music every week.
We believe homework is important. It is one way that we help to prepare children for secondary school. In year 6 we set four homework tasks per week. These include:
- A set of spellings, which will be tested every Monday morning (with a discrete spelling session taught)
- A recommended time of thirty minutes reading per day
- Weekly MyMaths tasks (with accompanying tutorials when appropriate)
- Regular daily times table practice, via Times Table Rockstars.
Reading At Home
It is important for pupils to read regularly, preferably daily (30 minutes). Although they will have plenty of opportunity to read in school, it would be helpful for you as parents to continue to read with you child and to monitor your child's reading, at home. We have a wonderful supply of books in school but we recommend your child joins the free County Library service. http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/libraries. We also recommend encouraging your child to listen to audiobooks, or reading to them yourself, to develop new vocabulary and pronunciation.
Please ensure your child has the apropriate equipment in school.
They should have, in a clear pencil case, 2 pens, 2 Pencils, a ruler, eraser, pencil sharpener and basic maths equipment.
We have now had our SATs meeting for parents. We shall send a copy of the slides from the session, via email to all year 6 parents.
The children will have an hour of PE every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Please ensure they have clean kit in school every week. We ask that hair is tied back, earings are removed and approriate footwear is worn. During winter months, we encourage children to wear warmer clothing such as jogging bottoms. This half term PE lessons will comprise of hockey (Tuesday) and gymnastics (Wednesday).