Welcome to Year 4!
4S Mrs Smart and Mrs Holmes
4G Mr George, Miss Miller, Mrs Taylor and Mrs Hale
Click for our wonderful Teacher Stories page
- The tie-dye t-shirts look amazing - well done! The setting of the dye needs to be finished by washing on its own at 30 degrees and then ironing. If you have an old white t-shirt or tired old tea towel you could wash with it they might pick up a bit of the colour!
- Please return ALL school reading books by Friday 16th July so we can sort and tidy them before the holiday.
- PE is 4G - Monday & Thursday. 4S - Thursday & Friday.
- Boating photos are below.
Rapid Reading. Look at this GUIDE first. You'll be sent an individual username. The password will be Astwood1 and the school code is astw. We will allocate books to your account as soon as we can. Once you've completed a book we'll get feedback and will be able to allocate another. We will also be able to assess if you're on the right level. If, after a couple of weeks this appears wrong, please let us know. There has been a suggestion that Rapid works less well on ipads but this isn't entirely clear. For those interested in the assessment process; every book a child reads, and completes the tasks, generates 'traffic light' style feedback in the different reading areas and also tells us how many prompts the child needed. Children regularly scoring all 'greens' may be ready for a new level; those with a handful of 'ambers' and a few prompts are about right; those with lots of 'reds' and multiple prompts may need a slightly easier book for now. We will monitor this regularly and adjust the books to suit. Just so you know!
TT Rockstars. If you're new here, look at THIS. The first time you log on you'll need to choose a rockstar name and do a baseline test. If you're already an expert, check out these TOP TIPS. Do this every week - Every day if you can! Remember to practise in the 'garage' game but try to improve your RockStar Status in the 'studio' game. The system is designed to be intuitive and will respond to your child's speed and accuracy to give a personalised experience. Ask your teacher if you don't know your login details, but these should be in the front of your child's reading record book. We have a Rockstar display in each class so we can celebrate progress through the levels. Don't miss out on this! Year 4 is the year in which we really try to get all times tables up to 12x12 rock solid.
- ELM Spellings 2020-2021
- OAK Spellings 2020-2021
- ASH Spellings 2020-2021
- Boating June '21 (revised 9th June)
- Work to bring back on 8th March
- maths extra - multi&div
- maths extra - area
- maths extra - decimals
- maths extra - fractions
- maths extra - place value problems
- maths extra - multiplication and division problems
- maths extra - length and perimeter problems
- maths extra - add and subtract problems
- Purple Mash coding user guide pdf
- Maths KIRFs to practise
- Spelling program in Year 4
- MyMaths welcome letter September 2020
- Information for parents Sept 2020
- TT Rockstars FAQs
- Reading skills to practice at home
- English in Year 3 and 4 (current curriculum)
PE kits are still to be worn to school on the appropriate days: 4G Wednesday and Thursday, 4S Thursday and Friday.
Please can we remind you to send in a letter if your child is going to be picked up by anyone other than their mother or father. If it is a regular arrangement, a letter stating that will suffice for the year.
Just to clarify the situation regarding homework. We've looked into this, after a parental enquiry, to make sure there is consistency across the school and that we are operating within our school policy. In year 4 we aim to set 90 minutes per week which doesn't include reading. We recognise that sometimes the English/topic task could take a lot longer, if people really want to engage with it, but the basic requirement can almost always be done in 30 minutes. The other tasks are often games or online activities which the children should ideally be able to complete independently. We recognise that they often spend a lot of time online, gaming and watching videos and we hope to steer some of this time towards educational sites.
Past photos of Year 4: